Grading Agreements


Another service provided by the Engineer's office is fence line clearing along the county right of way.  This requires a grading agreement between the county and the property owner that requests the grading be done.



If a property owner requests a grading agreement, the engineering staff will review the location and get a description of where the grading is being requested.  An agreement will be drawn up and the property owner, engineer, and the Board of Supervisors all must sign the agreement form.



In the agreement form, each party's responsibilities are listed.  After a "One Call" is done to locate utilities, the Secondary Roads Department will perform the dozer work, clearing the fence, brush and trees, and reshape the ditches.  If there is a high bank that produces a snow trap in the winter, the Secondary Roads Department will cut the bank down.  The property owner is responsible for providing a location for the trees, seeding and fencing once the project is completed.



Union County has been mandated by the Iowa DNR to obtain a Stormwater Discharge Permit.  This permit states that the Secondary Roads Department will prevent runoff from leaving the project limits.  The cost of this permit is $150.00, and the property owner will reimburse the county for the cost of the permit.



The grading program allows the Secondary Road Department to reshape road ditches, clear the right of way, and eliminate snow traps.


For more information, contact the Union County Secondary Roads Department at 641-782-7417.




Zach Gunsolley
Brenda Mahan
Office Manager
Telephone 641-782-7417
Fax 641-782-6492

Union County Engineer's Office
1701 Commerce Road
Creston, IA  50801
Office Hours
7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday